People are calling out Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson over his political stance

Many have publicly criticized Dwayne Johnson after the actor announced that he no longer plans to speak openly about politics, calling the former wrestler a “coward” and reigniting debate over whether celebrities have a responsibility to use their platforms for political causes.

Keep reading to learn more.

The controversy began after when ‘The Rock,’ Johnson spoke candidly about politics in a June 11 interview with Esquire, explaining that he has decided to keep his political beliefs private moving forward. The actor, who previously endorsed Joe Biden during the 2020 presidential election, said years of public scrutiny convinced him that discussing politics only created unnecessary division and distracted from the work he is most passionate about.

“What I have learned through experience is that I need to keep—the main thing the main thing,” Johnson said. “The main thing for me… is creating. It’s art. It’s storytelling.”

The Moana and Black Adam star went on to explain that he has grown increasingly frustrated with today’s political climate, describing it as exhausting and overly hostile.

“I’ve learned I’m going to keep my politics to myself,” he said. “Politics is omnipresent, and it’s forever. I don’t like it. I hate it at times. I hate the slinging. I hate all the bulls— that comes with it.”

Rather than watching public figures exchange insults online or from podiums, Johnson suggested that people with opposing viewpoints should meet privately and have genuine conversations. Referencing musician Bruce Springsteen’s criticism of Donald Trump during concerts, Johnson said his first thought was, “Why don’t they talk? They should sit down and talk.”

His comments quickly spread across social media, where reactions proved sharply divided.

Among Johnson’s most vocal critics was actor Wil Wheaton, who responded to a Threads post shared by fellow actor George Takei. Wheaton didn’t mince words.

“So disappointing to find out he is such a coward,” he wrote.

Takei also condemned Johnson’s position, arguing that remaining silent on political issues amounts to “complicity.”

Johnson’s decision to step away from political endorsements stems largely from his experience supporting Joe Biden in 2020. At the time, he said he believed endorsing the Democratic candidate was the responsible thing to do. However, he later admitted that the reaction from fans left him questioning whether celebrities should involve themselves in politics at all.

Speaking to Fox News in 2024, Johnson said the endorsement created a level of division that deeply troubled him.

“The endorsement that I made years ago with Biden was one I thought was the best decision for me at that time,” he explained. “But what I realized—what that caused back then—was something that tears me up in my guts… which is division.”

“And that got me,” he added.

Johnson later confirmed that he would no longer endorse presidential candidates publicly, saying his political choices would remain “between me and the ballot box.”

Despite distancing himself from party politics, Johnson has continued speaking out about major national events. Following the attempted assassination of Donald Trump during a Pennsylvania campaign rally in July 2024, the actor strongly condemned the attack.

“Whether you love Donald, don’t love Donald, it doesn’t matter,” Johnson said. “They tried to assassinate him. There’s no room for that.”

As Wheaton’s criticism gained traction, social media users quickly split into opposing camps. While some agreed with Wheaton, others defended Johnson.

“So it’s mandatory now for actors to talk politics?” one user asked.”We should all keep political views private. The world would be better,” one person wrote.

Another added, “He doesn’t have to share his political views. It’s respectful that he doesn’t shove his political views in everyone’s face”

What do you think of this debate? What side do you land on? Let us know in the comments section on Facebook.

Related Posts

New evidence found at scene appears to confirm suspected cause of Hayden Panettiere’s death

Hayden Panettiere was found dead in a residence in Greenville, South Carolina. While the cause of death is not yet officially released, new piece of evidence found…

Elderly woman was hospitalized after being penetrated…See more

A young woman was recently hospitalized after experiencing a violent assault that left her with serious injuries. Authorities confirmed that the incident occurred late in the evening,…

Abdul El-Sayed Takes a Brutal Swipe at Donald Trump’s Marriage to Melania.

Michigan Senate candidate Abdul El-Sayed has found himself at odds with President Donald Trump after the president drew comparisons between the two men and their wives. El-Sayed…

Pope Leo XIV’s Past Posts About Trump Resurface

When Pope Leo XIV was elected in 2025, attention quickly turned to his social-media history — and some old posts and reposts involving Donald Trump and JD…

Trump and Obama Clash Live on Air: A Historic Moment in Political Discourse

In a recent televised interview, former President Donald Trump directed a series of remarks toward former President Barack Obama, drawing national attention and sparking intense debate across…

Police have revealed new details surrounding Hayden Panettiere’s sudden death at just 36.

The sudden death of actress Hayden Panettiere has left fans and the entertainment world stunned, as authorities continue investigating what happened to the 36-year-old star. Panettiere, best…