Karmelo Anthony hires new defense attorney as court date looms

Karmelo Anthony, the 17-year-old charged with the murder of high school athlete Austin Metcalf at a track meet in Fresco, Texas earlier this month, has hired a new defense attorney prior to his first court appearance.

Metcalf was stabbed in the heart following an altercation relating to Anthony sitting in the wrong area during a track meet at the Kuykendall Stadium on April 2.

Tragic reports last week detailed how star athlete and aspiring football player Metcalf – at the meet with his twin brother, Hunter – had approached Anthony to tell him to move from the tent designated for Frisco Memorial High School students (Anthony is a student at Centennial High School).

Words were exchanged between the pair, who had never met each other before that fateful day, before Anthony pulled a knife from his backpack and stabbed Metcalf in the chest. Heartbreakingly, Metcalf bled to death in his twin brother’s arms.

Anthony was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing. He is currently being held at Collin County Jail on a $1 million bond. As of yesterday, an opinion-splitting fundraiser for Anthony and his family “during this challenging and difficult time,” had raised in excess of $400,000.

Prior to his Anthony’s bond hearing, scheduled for today, Monday, April 14, his family moved to retain Mike Howard, a Dallas criminal defense attorney.

The teen’s former lawyers, Billy Clark and Kim T. Cole., confirmed to WFAA on Saturday that they will no longer be representing him. The Next Generation Action Network (NGAN) – a non-profit supporting the teen – announced the legal change.

“The family of Karmelo Anthony has officially retained Attorney Mike Howard as lead counsel in Karmelo’s legal defense,” the group said in a statement.

“We are grateful for the early support from Attorneys Billy Clark and Kim Cole, and we continue working to build a strong legal team for the fight ahead.

“Karmelo deserves what every citizen deserves: fair treatment and full rights under the law. We won’t stop fighting until he gets it,’” the organization added.

As per reports, a private funeral was held for Austin Metcalf on Saturday morning at Hope Fellowship Frisco East church. It was followed by a private burial.

Rest in peace, Austin Metcalf.

Related Posts

How to Shop at Aldi If You Forgot a Quarter

I was seconds from abandoning my cart and going home hungry. No quarter. No cart. No backup plan. If you’ve ever stood at the Aldi corral, patting…

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Could Become..

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Could Become U.S. Territory After Iran War WASHINGTON. President Donald Trump has announced plans to declare the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz…

The 5-month-old baby who was hit by a .… See more

A single gunshot shattered everything. In seconds, an ordinary evening turned into a nightmare no parent can wake up from. A 5-month-old baby now lies between life…

With heavy hearts, we report the sad news about the multi-talented actress and film star… – Check the comments

The shock hit like a punch. A beloved actress, a quiet afternoon at a private Paris pool, and then a silence no one was ready for. Questions…

Colombia Calls on Trump for U.S. Military Help Against Cartels

Colombia’s newly inaugurated President Abelardo de la Espriella, known as “El Tigre,” has requested U.S. collaboration in joint military operations against drug-trafficking and narco-terrorist groups, according to…

Iran Claims Another U.S. Reaper Downed Near S…

TEHRAN — August 16, 2026: Iran says its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has shot down another U.S.-made MQ-9 Reaper drone over the southern Iranian province of…